Wednesday, November 03, 2010

DIY | Chic Apron

Inspiration:

How cute is this Haute Hostess Apron? Perfect for a holiday dinner party! These aprons were featured on Oprah about a week ago and are retailing for about $300. I will show you how to make one very similar for much cheaper.

Photobucket
What you'll need:
Sewing Machine
Apron
1-2 yards of fabric (depending on how full you want it)
Needle
Thread
Pins
Scissors
Ruler

Photobucket
My apron has pockets on the front and was too long so I cut the apron right below the pockets and I will use the side without the pockets.

Photobucket
Using the piece of the apron that I cut off as a guide, I cut the first piece of fabric the same width. I added a half inch for the bottom seam.
To make the ruffle effect the fabric has to be longer than the waist line (in this case the bottom of the apron). I went 30 inches {wish I would have done more so it could be fuller}, you can go as long as you want to make it as full as you want. I think doubling the length would be perfect.

Photobucket
Cut a second piece of fabric the same length as the first but half the width. Be sure to add in an additional half length for the seam.

Photobucket
Sew your seams!

Photobucket
With a needle and thread, stitch the shorter fabric on top of the wider fabric (just in and out until the end of the fabric).

Photobucket
Begin to pull the fabric so it ruffles.

Photobucket
Once you have the ruffles to your liking and its the same length as the apron, pin the skirt to the apron. Pin the back of the skirt to the inside of the apron so that when you turn it on the front all the seams will be hidden. Get it? Sew the skirt and apron together.

Photobucket

Voila!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute... now this is how fab chicks cook in the kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!! I've been sewing forever and Have NEVER thought to make an apron like this! Consider it DONE lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a sweet little note! It makes my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails